Saturday, June 19, 2010

The cost of a perfect smile

In my quest to have a perfect smile by the age of 30 I decided to venture last month and get some braces.... for the second time.

You heard it right... this is my second time doing the braces thing, except this time I got the clear ones!!! The first time I never finished my treatment because I moved to Philadelphia for college, but alas they are back on.

Why did I get them??

My sneaky dentist, that's why? First she told me I had to get my wisdom teeth pulled. Did that in October and boy was I in pain. It actually took me a while to get over it so I didn't go see her at my usual 6 month visit. I waited 9 months before I let her put her fingers or any other little instruments in my mouth.

...and just when I think its all good she goes and tells me I need to get braces right away or else my teeth are going to spread up and out. Now that is the last thing I need. She gives me the card to the orthodontist and the next thing I know I'm in his office for a consultation.

Now the cost:

The total cost of the braces was about $5300 ( Did you you know braces cost that much? I didn't).

My insurance paid $1200 towards the cost of the braces.
I had to put $200 down at the first consultation, at the records appointment, and when they first put the braces on.
Which leaves me with at total of $3500 left to pay within the next 18 months.
Each month when I go to the orthodontist to get the braces tightened it costs me $194.00. For now I have been putting on my debit card but you best believe at the next open enrollment I will be using my pretax health savings plan so that way I get a little tax deduction on the money I use to pay for this procedure.

I think one of the reasons why the braces are so expensive if because I have the clear ones. I still have the mental wire but the brackets are clear, and in a couple of years I will have close to perfect teeth. By then I think I won't be an anonymous blogger so you will be able to see the before and after pics.

ahhhhh... the price we women pay for beauty!

Until next time, think prosperous thoughts

YBP


No comments: