Sunday, January 25, 2009

Over $200.00 on Groceries

You have got to be kidding me. I have never in my life spent over 200.00 on groceries... until today and today I spent $230.31. Where did it all go...

Well for almost 2 weeks I was on the Master Cleanse. Then I went away to NYC ( where I had a wonderful time by the way) since I came back I have been eating a lot of soup and oatmeal, the only healthy things I had in the house.

I went to grocery store today and bought lots of fresh fruit, veggies, hummus, and tons of other high fiber low fat type foods. Organic and fresh food tend to be way more expensive the the foods that are not good for you. I want to eat healthy I just can not afford to spend over $200 a month on food.

so are there any suggestions... how can I reduce my grocery budget and still eat healthy?

until next time, think prosperous thoughts

YBP

5 comments:

ShellyShell said...

Have you tried Trader Joe's? Also I read that with certain fruits it's not neccessary to buy organic because the pesticides can't penetrate the skin.

Unknown said...

you've stumbled on to a problem for many trying to eat well on a budget. one strategy is to simply eat less. that doesn't work for me. you can also for example buy the chickpeas and tahini and make your own hummus in large batches.

keep in mind that by eating healthy you're reducing future health care costs for both you and the country as a whole. it's an investment.

Splash said...

Buying what is in-season locally (i.e. going to the Farmer's Market) has saved me about 25% on my food budget over the last six months. Haven't been tracking longer than that!

Anonymous said...

Aargh!! Just wrote a long post and now it's gone. Oh well. Two things:

1. buy only organic the fruit and veg with the most pesticides. They are: peaches, apples, sweet bell peppers, celery, nectarines, strawberries, cherries, lettuce, imported grapes, pears, spinach, and potatoes.
http://www.naturalnews.com/025431.html

2. Buy a thermomix.
www. thermomix.com
Sell your redundant bread maker, juicer, food processor, ice crusher, cappucino machine, rice cooker etc, put the money towards it and if you buy on finance you'll save more than the payments per week anyway. With your groceries, I'd say you'd save at least $30-60 a week.

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

1. Eat less

2. Follow what Kandychick said about organic items - not everything is beneficial to be organic

3. Try comparing with other grocery stores near your area. E.g. a banana here is how much there? And keep a price book

4. Buy from a farmer's market.

If it makes you feel better, I spend $300 on groceries on a regular basis...

Fabulously Broke in the City

"Just a girl trying to find a balance between being a Shopaholic and a Saver."